Miss Trelawny Festival Queen 2011
The JCDC Miss Trelawny Festival Queen Coronation show was held in the ballroom of the Breezes Resort and Spa in Coopers Pen, Falmouth, Trelawny. Incidentally, Breezes Resort was formerly known as Starfish resort and before that, Trelawny Beach hotel.
The Trelawny Festival Queen competition is an elimination show that is part of a national JCDC Jamaica Festival Queen competition. Eliminations are held in each parish and the 14 parish winners will vie for the national title to be held in Kingston. It is not a beauty contest, but a cultural and national awareness based competition. Trelawny’s 2010 winner, Chloe Trowers did well enough to place third in last year’s competition.
This year the competition had at least 4 quality girls who could have represented the parish well in Kingston. Dadiere Ashman, “Miss Albert Town”; Odette Hawthorne, “Miss Deeside”; Christine Minto, “Miss Falmouth” and Lamoya James “Miss Friendship”, were all outstanding, talented, intelligent girls. Miss Albert Town was unfortunate to receive a really tough question. Most people in the audience including myself, could not understand the question so I knew it would give her some problem, which it did . She stumbled through and that I think prevented her from placing in the top 3.
This year’s contestants were:
1) Beverley Brissett (Sales Representative), 19 years old, formerly of Muschette High – Miss Wakefield
2) Carla Minto (Student), 18 years old, formerly of Muschette High – Miss Falmouth
3) Dadiere Ashman (Teaching Assistant), 19 years old, formerly of Albert Town High – Miss Albert Town
4) Andrienia Spence (Student/Trainee), 18 years old, formerly of Holland High – Miss Martha Brae
5) Lamoya James (Student), 18 years old, formerly of Muschette High – Miss Friendship
6) Odette Hawthorne (Nature’s Adventure Specialist), 21 years old, formerly of William Knibb Memorial High – Miss Deeside
In the end, the winner, Lamoya James was well deserved as she exhibited superior poise, confidence and intelligence. Not to be outdone, Miss Falmouth Carla Minto (third place or second runner up) and Odette Hawthorne, Miss Deeside (second place or first runner up) gave her good competition, but when it was time to announce the final three, the winner was predictable.
Congratulations to Miss Friendship… no, Miss Trelawny Festival Queen 2011, Lamoya James. We know you will be a contender for the crown in Kingston. You will be hard to beat!
Here is a list of the sectional prizes and their winners:
1) Most Congenial – Beverley Brissett, Miss Wakefield
2) Most Culturally Aware – Lamoya James, Miss Friendship
3) Best Performer – Dadiere Ashman, Miss Albert Town
4) Most Poised – Beverley Brissett, Miss Wakefield
5) Most Active In Community – Carla Minto, Miss Falmouth
6) PIOJ Award – Dadiere Ashman, Miss Albert Town
More Photos from the coronation can be viewed on Falmouth Photos.